Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Life Changing Moment


Growing up, we did not have inside pets. I had two dogs when I was very young, but they always stayed outside. I always thought that if I ever had a dog that it would definitely stay outside, but something happened about 4 months ago that changed my mindset completely. I met Marley. My life hasn't been the same since I met this 9 pound shih-tzu terrior puppy. A family that I know was getting a new pet. Marley's previous owners could not handle her anymore, so a friend of mine was taking her home. She brought her to Wesley, where I work and since that first day, Marley seemed to be attached to me. It was very odd because I am simply not a pet person, but there was something about this dog that threw that idea out the window. When my friend and her family decided that they couldn't handle Marley since they had three other pets, I decided to try the whole pet owner thing out. I gave it a week. My roommate and I agreed to keep her for a week and then would decide if we thought we could handle her. We haven't given her back yet and that was the beginning of October. I've learned so much these past few months and know that I have much more to learn. I will share those experiences from the past and as they happen with you. I call myself a first time pet owner. When I was younger, my parents took care of the pets that I had. Now, it is all on me. I do know that it is true when they say that pets can be "good for the soul." Marley has been good for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment